This is the website for the working group Computational Statistics at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich.
Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl is head of the working group since summer 2015.
Our research areas of interest are
- deep learning
- interpretable machine learning
- automated machine learning
- predictive modelling, especially non-linear classification and regression
- ensemble techniques
- statistical / machine learning
- statistical computing and computational statistics
- model- and variable selection
- expensive black-box optimization
- bayesian optimization
- statistical software development
The group also organizes the Münchner R Kurse, which are training courses on statistics, data science and programming in R.
Join our external mailing list to get updates on social events and workshops!
Institut für Statistik
Tel: +49 89 2180 2814 (administration)
Fax: +49 89 2180 5308
- 2019-03-01: Christian A. Scholbeck started his Ph.D. in the working group Computational Statistics. He will work on Interpretable Machine Learning.
- 2019-01-17: The Munich Center for Machine Learning is being launched.
Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl, Prof. Dr. Thomas Seidl and Prof. Dr. Daniel Cremers are launching the Munich Center for Machine Learning, a co-operation between the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (LMU) and the Technical University Munich (TUM).
Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) have become scientific key technologies. Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl is one of the leading members of the newly established research center Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML). Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the center will bundle excellent ML research, connect with industry and educate students.
The Munich Center for Machine Learning is lead jointly by Prof. Dr. Thomas Seidl and Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl (on the LMU side) and Prof. Dr. Daniel Cremers (for TUM). Read More
- 2018-12-17: Martin Binder started his Ph.D. in the working group Computational Statistics. He will work on Automatic Machine Learning.
- 2018-11-15: Julia Moosbauer started her Ph.D. in the working group Computational Statistics. She will work on Model-Based Optimization.
- 2018-09-10: The paper “Visualizing the Feature Importance for Black Box Models” by Giuseppe Casalicchio, Christoph Molnar, Bernd Bischl was accepted and presented at the ECML-PKDD 2018 conference. LINK
- 2018-09-01: Thomas Seidl (LMU), Bernd Bischl (LMU) and Daniel Cremers (TUM) will lead the Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML).
- 2018-07-14: Stefan Coors took part in the International Workshop on Automatic Machine Learning with the paper on Automatic Gradient Boosting.
- 2018-07-05: The Compstat group was invited to WhyR 2018, where we gave talks about several parts of the mlr ecosystem. For more info see the mlr Blog.
- 2018-06-27: The paper “iml - An R package for Interpretable Machine Learning” by Christoph Molnar, Giuseppe Casalicchio, Bernd Bischl was published at JOSS. LINK
- 2018-05-01: Stefan Coors started his Ph.D. in the working group computational statistics. He works on ordinal regression and methods for automatic machine learning.
- 2018-05-01: Our working group is part of the newly created Data Science@LMU Professional Certificate Program.